As India takes stronger measures to fight COVID-19, it is important for us as individuals to take good nutrition seriously. Karishma Shah strongly believes that lack of good nutrition can lower our immune system but it can prove to be fatal for COVID-19 patients. Proper nutrition is important to defeat the virus and lack of the same can hinder the recovery process.
The immune system takes a serious beating when you suffer from this infectionand thus it is important to cover basis when fighting it. Here are some quick guidelines that should be followed by people suffering from COVID. Share it with your loved ones and ensure that their dietary requirements are met to the fullest.
Calorie dense foods
Suffering from COVID-19, your body is drained of all energy. Thus, calorie dense foods that can help bring the energy levels up should form a major part of your diet. Include whole grains, cereals, oats, amaranth and rice in your meals and avoid empty calories like bread. These foods are rich sources so complex carbohydrates and help rebuild immunity and energy levels.
Consume healthy fats
Replace saturated fats like vegetable oil, butter and ghee with oils like corn, soy, mustardor sunflower while cooking. Consume handful of almonds, walnuts or nuts are recommended during these days.
Big serving of fruits and vegetables
A good serving of fresh fruits, vegetables is always recommended in general for every individual. However, it is all the more important for these to be a fixation on a COVID-19 patients’ plate.While patients experience loss of smell and taste, and express difficulty in swallowing, you can consume the same in form of juice or soup.
Curb your sweet cravings
It is important to stay away from sweet foods at all times. They can aggravate your symptoms and further trigger breathing problems. If you want to satisfy your sweet cravings, you can have small amounts of 70% dark chocolate. This will not only improve your mood but also boost your immunity.
These are some further nutritional guidelines that COVID patients should follow at all times
- 1) Maintain a positive outlook at all times. Stress will serve your body negatively, aggravate the situation and leave you agitated
- 2) Do yoga and practice breathing exercises as per tolerance
- 3) Consume natural sources of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, especially Vitamin C and D
- 4) Only consume freshly prepared food. Treat leftover food as medical waste.
- 5) To boost one’s immunity, consume turmeric milk once a day.
Karishma Shah’s Sample Diet Chart for COVID-19 patients
- After waking up – 1 banana
- Half hour after banana – 1 cup of green tea or herbal tea or masala chai
- Breakfast – 1 cup of poha with multiple vegetables or 2 whole eggs omelette with vegetables
- Mid-day – 1 glass of Nimbupaani or kokum sherbet
- Lunch – 2 rotis (made with half amaranth and half ragi flour mixed) + 1 cup of vegetables + 1 cup of dal + Salad (If required)
- Evening Snack – 5 almonds + 5 walnuts + 1 cup of Kadha
- Dinner – Vegetable Khichdi or Vegetable Pulao or Dal Chawal
- Before Bedtime – 1 glass of Haldi Milk
Karishma Shah believes that this diet can meet the daily calorie and nutrition needs in every way. However, if you are suffering from other health problems, you might need a customized diet plan.